Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The End

The 2007-2008 school year is truly winding down. All the events that mark the end of the year are here. Prom, yearbook distribution planning, honors assemblies, caps and gowns, senior video, MASS grading, course assessments, scheduling for 09, planning sessions for 09. It is a busy time of year marked with excitement, frustration, and even a little sadness.

Teaching has become a cornerstone in my life. I love my job, the people I work with, and the students I teach and learn from. As an upper division teacher I have the pleasure and pain of working with much of the graduating class. I've watched many of them grow from the time they were freshmen. I've taught them and helped them to plan and grow in order to be prepared for post high school life. I've seen relationships created, broken, mended, and nurtured. There are a handful that I become very attached to. I worry about them, care for them, and hope for them. They are the ones that while I would love to keep them in my classes under a shield of protection, I know I have to let go and hope that I've taught them enough. Teaching is much like parenting...only less time. The intensity is the same, the feeling of responsibility is the same. I wonder about those kids from year's past. Where are they now? What are they doing? Are they successful, happy, fulfilled, safe? These same kids I love will drive me absoletly crazy for the next 15 days. They are so ready to graduate and yet will display true signs of apprehension at doing so. We are mere days away from that walk through the stadium and across the stage as they flip their tassles as wave goodbye to PHS. I will cry and I will miss them terribly, but it will mark the start path of their future. As for me...I'll get to start all over again next year!

This sounded a lot less somber in my head...

1 comment:

Brandon and Amber Owens said...

How is everything going? I bet you are excited for school to be out and to have some time off to spend with Haley. We are glad to see that you and your daughter are doing well. She is such a cutie. I can't wait until my girls are that big!